1. Where are you originally from (country and city)?
I’m originally from El Salvador, a tiny country in Central America.
2. Do you currently live in the same place where you were born?
No. I moved out of El Salvador many years ago.
3. What do you do for a living?
I’m a software engineer.
4. What kind of traveler do you think you are?
I’m a walking recording device. I’m happy to have started a website about my travels. I have a small, yet engaged following, so I never feel alone even though I am traveling by myself. Because of that, I have a lot of incentive to record the things I come across with photos, videos, audio, and notes. I think this makes me experience new locations more deeply.
5. What is important for you while traveling and why are you traveling?
I try to get to know the country’s history and people. I want to learn about the things that are hard to see from the outside.
6. What kind of travel advice would you give others?
Do what the locals do. Everybody uses a scooter? Rent a scooter. Everybody eats with chopsticks? Eat with chopsticks. Everybody takes a nap at noon? Take a nap at noon. Everybody eats insects? Eat insects.
7. What is your next mission/trip?
I’m traveling in South-East Asia for a few months until October 2018. After that I am planning to move to an island in the Caribbean and buy a sailboat. This sailboat is going to become my home. I’m want to sail the world for many years. Fingers crossed.
8. What is the best place you visited so far?
Japan. I lived there for five years and I love the place, the people and the food.
9. What is a place you want to visit in the future?
Bhutan is a country I would like to visit that I don’t foresee visiting in the near future. I’m curious about their measurement of GDH (Gross Domestic Happiness).
10. What is your favorite place in your home country that you would recommend to others?
El Salvador doesn’t have a very developed tourism industry. If you happen to go there, I would recommend going to the beach and try surfing. The Jiquilisco Bay is also quite nice.
11. (If answer to Q2 is “No”) What is your favorite place in your current country that you would recommend to others?
I’m currently traveling in Cambodia. I would recommend Siem Reap, not only because of the myriad of temples, but also because of all the other activities around the city.
12. Do you have any other tips or tricks based on your experience that you wish to share?
Travel light, keep your needs simple, and don’t travel just to drink coffee/beer.